Qualifications and Testimonials
Figure It Out is managed by Dr Chris Stride. As the statistician at the
Institute of Work Psychology, University of Sheffield, I have a great depth of experience
in offering statistical support and training to non-statisticians from a variety of
Qualifications and Memberships of Professional Bodies:
Ph.D. in Statistics, from University of Warwick (1992-1995)
Class I B.Sc. Honours Degree in Mathematics and Statistics, from University of Warwick (1989-1992) .
Courses included Time-series and Forecasting, Medical Statistics, Decision Theory and Multivariate Statistics.
Chartered Statistician (C Stat. status awarded by
Royal Statistical Society in March 2008)
Fellow of the
Royal Statistical Society
Committee Member of
Over the past decade I have performed statistical consultancy work for a wide range of
public and private sector companies, sometimes myself and sometimes
in conjunction with researchers at the Institute Of Work Psychology. Clients have included
the Bar Diversity Council, Barclays Bank, Cambridge University, Warwick University, Centrica, DWP,
the MoD, the NHS, Network Rail, Pearn Kandola, and
the Police Force SSO.
Teaching and training:
Basic hypothesis testing
Questionnaire and study design
Exploratory data analysis and descriptive statistics
Basic univariate statistics (T-tests, crosstabulation, correlation, ANOVA)
Multiple regression, including testing for mediation and moderation
Generalised Linear Modelling
Factor analysis, reliability and scale development
Structural equation modelling
Over the past decade I have organised, written teaching materials for and taught
basic through to advanced level statistics and statistical computing to post-graduate psychology students, management and MBA students,
and members of academic staff. Topics covered in these sessions include...
I have also organised, developed and taught on training courses run by ASSESS (UK SPSS Users Group),
teaching statistical computing skills to delegates from a wide variety of public and
private sector backgrounds.
A few comments from past students:
Excellent stats course... I appreciate CS’s engagement with this subject and his helpful handouts and exercises.
Stats is not my strong point but the high quality of teaching did make a difference to my learning and enjoyment of this module.
Very helpful and enthusiastic lecturer who definitely knows his subject
Like the exercise and answer format - this way I know what I have understood
Some further testimonials from public and inhouse courses can be found
Though based in an Occupational Psychology department, I publish across a range of social science
disciplines, with my current personal research interests being around well-being, health and
the built environment, perfectionism, and nostalgia. I also have a parallel research career
in sports history!
A selection of peer-reviewed publications from the last 5 years is given below. A more detailed listing can be found
in my CV on the IWP website.
- Kelly, C., Arnold, J., Strauss, K., & Stride, C. (2019) The relationship between leisure activities and psychological resources that support a sustainable career: The role of leisure seriousness and work-leisure similarity. Journal of Vocational Behavior
- Stride, C. B., Catley, N., & Headland, J. (2019) Shirt tales: how adults adopted the replica football kit. Sport in History.
- Piotrowska, P., Stride, C. B., Maughan, B., & Rowe, R. (2019) Mechanisms underlying social gradients in child and adolescent antisocial behaviour. Population Health.
- Bindl, U. K., Unsworth, K., Gibson, C. & Stride, C. (2018) Job Crafting Revisited: How individual needs and moods differentially influence active changes at work. Journal of Applied Psychology
- Harris, P. R., Griffin, D. W., Napper, L., Schüz, B., Bond, R., Stride, C. & Brearley, I. (2018) Individual Differences in Self-Affirmation: Distinguishing Self-Affirmation from Positive Self-Regard. Self and Identity
- Van Hooff, L. M. M., Flaxman, P., Söderberg, M., Stride, C. B. & Geurts, S. (2018) Basic Psychological Need Satisfaction, Recovery State, and Recovery Timing. Human Performance, 31, 2
- Day, M. R., Thompson, A. R., Poulter, D. R., Stride, C. B., & Rowe, R. (2018) Safety improvement over the first three months of driving: A qualitative study. Accident Analysis and Prevention
- Stride, C. B. & Vandenberg, L. (2018) The art of face-saving and culture-changing: sculpting Chinese football’s past, present and future. Sport in Society
- Flaxman, P., Stride, C. B., Söderberg, M., Lloyd, J., Guenole, N., & Bond, F. W. (2017) Relationships between two dimensions of employee perfectionism, postwork cognitive processing, and work day functioning. European Journal of Work Psychology.
- Niessen, C., Mäder, I., Stride, C., & Jimmieson, N. (2017) Thriving when exhausted: The role of perceived transformational leadership. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 103B, 41-51
- Stride, C. B., Thomas, F. E. & Chamorro, A.M. (2017) Commemorating Tragic Heroes: Statuary of Soccer Players Who Died Mid-Career. Soccer & Society
- Eiser, C., Stride, C. B., Vora, A., Goulden, N., Mitchell, C., Buck, G., Adams, M. & Jenney, M. E. M. (2017) Prospective evaluation of quality of life in children treated in UKALL 2003 for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL): A cohort study. Pediatric Blood & Cancer
- Town, J., Abbass, A., Stride, C., & Bernier, D. (2017) A randomized controlled trial of Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy for treatment resistant depression: the Halifax depression study. Journal of Affective Disorders, 214, 15-25
- Chang, B., Webb, T. L., Benn, Y., & Stride, C. (2017) Which factors are associated with monitoring goal progress? Frontiers in Psychology, 8, 434
- Stride, C. B. & Thomas, F. E. (2017) Tension in the Union of Art and Sport: Competition for Ownership of the Baseball Statuary and its Influence Upon Design. NINE.
- Selenko, E., Maekikangas, A.M., & Stride, C. B. (2017) Does job insecurity threaten who you are? Introducing a social identity perspective to explain well-being and performance consequences of job insecurity. Journal of Organisational Behaviour
- Biggart, L., Corr, P., Fletcher, C., Stride, C., Schofield, G. & Petrides, K.V. (2016) Can Emotional Intelligence be trained? Preliminary results from a randomised control trial. Personality and Individual Differences, 101, 468-469.
- Harries, T., Eslambolchilar, P., Rettie, R., Stride, C., Walton, S. & van Woerden, H. (2016) Effectiveness of a smartphone app in increasing physical activity amongst male adults: a randomised controlled trial. BMC Public Health, 16, 925
- Guimares, G., Stride, C. & O’Reilly, D. (2016) Brand Promise and Brand Community: Insights from a Survey of Online Community Members. Sport, Business and Management: an International Journal, 6(2), 137-157
- Jayawardhena, C., Morrell, K., & Stride, C. B. (2016) Towards an understanding of Ethical Consumer purchase behaviour: Determinants and Managerial Implications. Journal of Marketing Management, 32(7-8), 777-805
- Mason, S., O'Keeffe, C., Carter, A. & Stride, C. (2016) The Junior Doctor Training journey: a longitudinal study of change in confidence, competence and well-being and the impact of Emergency Medicine placements. Emergency Medical Journal, 33(2), 91-98
- Breeze, P., Squires, H., Chilcott, J., Stride, C., Diggle, P. J., Brunner, E., Tabak, A., & Brennan, A. (2015) A statistical model to describe longitudinal and correlated metabolic risk factors for applications to type 2 diabetes prevention policies and programmes: the Whitehall II Prospective Study. Journal of Public Health.
- Stride, C. B. & Thomas, F. E. (2015) The Apprentice: how to be hired, not fired. Significance, 12(2), 20-24
- Stride, C. B., Thomas, F. E. & Ramshaw G. (2015) Standing out from the crowd: imaging baseball fans through sculpture. The International Journal of the History of Sport, 32(14), 1611-1638
- Croft, S., Stride, C.B., Maughan, B., & Rowe, R. (2015) Validity of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire in preschool children. Pediatrics, 135(5), e1210-e1219
- Burton, E. J., Mitchell, L. & Stride, C. B. (2015) Bed of roses? The role of garden space in older people’s wellbeing. Urban Design and Planning, 168(4), 164-173
- Piotrowska, P., Stride, C. B., Maughan, B., Goodman, R., McCaw, L. & Rowe, R. (2015) Income gradients within child and adolescent antisocial behaviours. British Journal of Psychiatry
- Piotrowska, P.J., Stride, C.B., Croft, S., & Rowe, R. (2015). Socioeconomic status and antisocial behaviour among children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review 35, 47–55
- Stephan, U., Uhlaner, L. & Stride, C. B. (2014) When do Individuals Engage in Social Entrepreneurship? The Role of Institutional Voids, Institutional Support and Institutional Configurations. Journal of International Business Studies.
- Stride, C. B., Thomas, F. E. & Smith, M. M. (2014) Ballplayer or Barrier Breaker? Branding Through the Seven Statues of Jackie Robinson. The International Journal of the History of Sport.
- Greaves, M., Zibarris, L. & Stride, C. B. (2013) Using the Theory of Planned Behaviour to explore environmental behavioural intentions in the workplace. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 34, 109-120
- Sheehan, B., Burton, E., Wood, S. J. and Stride, C. B. (2013) Evaluating the Built Environment in Inpatient Psychiatric Wards. Psychiatric Services, 64(8), 789-795
- Ball, K. S., Daniel, E. & Stride, C. B. (2013) Dimensions of employee privacy: an empirical study. Information, Technology and People, 25(4): 376-394
- Stride, C. B. , Wilson, J. P. & Thomas, F. E. (2013) Honouring heroes or Branding in Bronze: theorising the UK’s football statuary. Sport in Society, 16(6): 749–771
- Stride, C. B., Turner, N., Reich, T., Clegg, C. & Murphy, P. (2013) Negative Safety Events as Predictors of Perceived Barriers to Employee Safety Performance. Safety Science, 53, 45-50.